Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Some odd ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

SF18C

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2002
IT
I had a sys admin ask me the following and I had no idea.

Can you help me out.

Is there a specific port number for network printers? Like port 80 for Http.

Can you put fiber in a firehose to keep it from freezing? Some guy said he did that in Kosovo so that it wouldn't break.

I don't know why I care to answer these I guess I', just curious!

Network printers can use a number of ports, which one is used is determined by the Operating system.

Windows 2000 will use port tcp 9100.(HP Jet Direct)
Dec VMS can use telnet port 23.(HP Jet Direct)
Unix can use LPD tcp port 515. (HP Jet Direct)

Cheers

Mark

PS Are you trying to stop the fire hose freezing or the fibre from breaking? External grade fibre cables are very solid and quite safe.

Thanks Mark, i found 9100 for win/HP by looking at one of my networked printers but I didn't know about the others.

I work for the Army and soldiers are always doing crazy stuff so equipment will work in the "field" and someone wanted to know how to keep fiber cables from freezing. I told them I'm "pretty sure" their data won't "freeze up in the cable" but if you want to put it in a fire hose go head, can't hurt - more protection. But with GI Joe running fiber in a fire hose they may get the false since that it is now indestructable!

As I've always said if you give an Army private an anvil and a rubber malet, after a day your anvil is going to be broken and the malet will be missing!!!!

We used to have rather large tanks run over our radar data cables and just chew them up.. firehose would not have helped much on that ;)

I think they might have been concerned about the cable itself freezing and becoming brittle.. like the normal cables will. The firehose would have provide a bit of protection against that in the sense the moisture would freeze on the hose but the fiber could still move around on the inside some.

MikeS Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

The print service port number is 515. You can use this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back