Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Some help with images

Status
Not open for further replies.

FizzyWocky

Programmer
Apr 11, 2004
GB
I am writing an access DB [in A2K] with a user interface that has a number of images [24 in total] these images can change dynamically [from any one of 40 JPG files].

All these images are small enough and i originally thought about how i would go about doing this, one solution is to put all the images on the form and make the ones i want visible, but this is not very neat [having 800 images on the form] and if i wanted to add another image to the selection it would just make it unweildy.

Is there any other way to do it?

perhaps putting all the images into a DB and using a macro to make the images refer to the right picture? [i'm guessing now LOL]

Any solution must be seamless to the user, i tried to load the images [creating an unbound object with a link to an image and changing the Source Doc] but it took a bit too long [sometimes i'm changing 10 images at once and it's not perfect to have the user wait over a second for all the images to change.

I am quite new to Access VBA so any ideas, suggestions, examples would be a great help

Hi,

Have you got 24, 40 or 800 images?

What does the form do?

Please clarify.

Regards,

Darrylle

Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience. darrylles@yahoo.co.uk

Also, keep in mind that there is probably going to be a balance between speed and ease of use/design/updating, etc.

Making the images dynamically load with links would be the easiest way to do it, in my opinion. Having all the images load and selecting which ones to view might be faster, but it would also be a lot more intense on the users machine, as well as increase the size of your db considerably I would imagine. As you mentioned, this would also require a huge setup time and make changes in the future much more complicated.

To me, a 1 second load time isn't that bad, but I've heard of users/bosses get upset about less significant things.

With the infomation you've given, I would recommend doing it dynamically, but like Darrylle said, more information could help us give you the best solution possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back