Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Some extensions are acting up

Status
Not open for further replies.

GUIsareapassingfad

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2016
US
Hi Guys,

I work at a hotel with a Meridian1 PBX VERSION 2511 RELEASE 25 ISSUE 08

My hotel has 4 digital phone (2008's) extensions in guest rooms that are having issues
one ext constantly rings the front desk, stopping when the set is unolugged
3 others just downright don't work.
Before I call my VAR, I wanted to see if I could remedy.

Short of anything specific would it help if I

1. disabled and re-enabled the extension?
2. deleted the extension and copied over a similar one (or rebuilt it?)
3. rebooted the Meridian?
4. Hopped on a plane to Hawaii?

Nortel Meridian1
Version 2511
Release 25
Issue 8

This is the order you should start.

1. Hop on a plane to Hawaii
2 - ... Who cares, you're on a plane to Hawaii

On a serious note - delete and/or move the extension to another TN - less time to perform this than to trouble-shoot this ghost. If you have spare phones, use them on instead on new TN.

I would go the Hawaii route and if that was not a possibility I would spend some money on a new phone system or at least upgrade the one you have. You have got your money out of that one.

The phone that is always ringing the front desk may have some sticky keys.

As all the phones are M2008, then try and swap them over to see if the problem moves with the phone or stays at the port.

Phones of that age will have issues with sticking buttons as already mentioned and I've found that the phone cords can be a problem and therefore it will be wise to unplug the phone first and perhaps give them a clean and press ALL the buttons a number of times. Look on the phone and handset cords for any sign of wear or loose connections. These can be easily swapped over for fault finding.

Don't leave the phones unplugged for too long as they might become disabled. I tend to remove "30" in DROL under OVLY in LD 17 to prevent this from happening on most customer sites.

It might be worth finding out if all the extensions are on the same 16 port digital card and perhaps, you might be able to swap it out with another card to see if other extensions start having the problem.

The thought of hopping on a plane to Hawaii is not a bad option either.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

OK. all good stuff!
Of course NOW the problem is the extension is now being called and ringing and when the guest picks up.......no one there!
I will grab a 2616 and if it rings we might find out where it comes from. Unfortunaltely we have these people called "guests" who keep getting in the way...

some more ???s
yyrkroon - to change a tn I would have to move wires on my punchblocks, yes? I only ask as I have no docs here on whats what so it will take some tracing and such.

KCFLHRC - If only I could. I use your argument all the time and I get this: "well if it still works, why do we need to replace it?"

Sherwat and Firebirdscrambler: Cleaned the phones exterior and such. I know the keypad is ususally sealed but is there anything I can or cant use to help clean up the keys?
I think it was frank zappa who achieved a very "gooey" sound by pouring coffee into his mixing console. alcohol? carbontetrachloride? eye of newt?

thank you all again!

Nortel Meridian1
Version 2511
Release 25
Issue 8

Yes, you'll need to move wires on the punch block. However, to make things easier on yourself - if you know what the TN is and you have more than 1 digital line card in your witch - swap the line card and see if the problem persist....doesn't hurt anything and it takes less than a minute to perform. If the issue follow the card, you know you have a bad TN, if the issue remain, you know you have a bad phone, punch, jack...basically, everything from phone back to block.

I use simple green on a paper towel to clean phones. It doesn't leave a residue and is cheaper than the phone wipes

** Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Thanks again!
Being that its from 1979 or so, can I hot swap these line cards or do I need to power the whole thing down first?

I will look at simple green to clean my phones.

thanks again

Nortel Meridian1
Version 2511
Release 25
Issue 8

You should do a "DISC" (Card slot) command first in LD 32 before you pull the card out and then do a "ENLC" (Card slot) after the card has been inserted again.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel and Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Very advance high level knowledge on Linux BCM with keycode support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back