Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

some DOS files are not working on WIN 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

sganti

Programmer
Nov 20, 2002
HK
Hello,

I have some DOS exe files.They are working fine on WIN 98.But not on WIN 2000.Can you pls suggest me what to do?

Thanks,
Srini

Increase environment space allowed for DOS programmes
Edit c:\winnt\system32\config.nt
Add line: shell=%systemroot%\system32\command.com /e:32768

Hello Sir,

I tried that way....But still not working.Can you pls help me out?

Thanks,
Srini

Try right clicking the executable and select compatibility, then set run as Win 98.

I TRIED RIGHT CLICKING THE EXE FILE AND TO SET THE COMPATIBILITY.IT IS NOT SHOWING THAT OPTION...CAN YOU PLS...LET ME KNOW..THE FIX..

THANKS,
SRI

Hi Simonbegg,
I tried That Sir. But Still Not working.Can you pls tell me
another solution

Thanks,
Sri

What dos programs are you using? That would be a little more helpful... Were they common programs or proprietary?
~ Whether you think you can or can't, you're right. Henry Ford~

Did you copy the entire dos program to the c drive? Create a folder in the c drive under program files with that dos program name on it. Then try to run the executable from that folder and place a shortcut either in your start menu or on desktop. Make sure you copy the executable - do not try to send to desktop as shortcut or it will not work. If you have tried that, you will need to run appcompat. You will need a win2000 cd and install the support tools. Go to your cd under winnt i386 and install the support tools - this is a quick install. After you have successfully installed your support tools - Go to start - run - type apcompat (I am not sure if it is 2 p's or just one after the initial a - try both) a window will come up - browse for the executable of that program and make sure you check the box that saves the change. I do not have this in front of me now, so I am doing this from memory. Are you getting any error messages when you try to execute?

I'm switching us over from Novell 4.0 to W2K. We've found many dos programs don't work correctly under W2K. We have an old dos cad program that doesn't support unc, so we can't print from it. We came up with a net use lpt1 \\servername\printername and put that in the start-up, so when the machine comes on, the net use command grabs the printer. Dos cad program now prints. Had to get very imaginitive with some of these old dos dogs. You may have the same problem. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"If I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent."
Sir Isaac Newton (1642-1727)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back