Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Some color plz!

Status
Not open for further replies.

popo666

Programmer
Jul 8, 2002
CA
I am actually using conditionnal formating to change the background color of a field, id like to know if it is possible to change the background color of all the fields in a record based on the value of one field?

Thanks in advance,

Fred

No you are not!

You're "using conditionnal formating to change the background color of a CONTROL" ( not a field )

What you really mean to ask is possible - but you need to set the conditional formatting on each control - just using the value in the first control as the parameter.
Set the Condition to "Expression Is" and use the control name ( with [ ] brackets ) in the expression box.

'ope-that-'elps.

G LS

bump!

i've found that you can select all the text field and apply a condition to all of them at the same time....

thx G L S

P.S.
i dont know why you call a field( or text field) a control since its passive in a report though, is it how Microsoft calls it?

Fred

i dont know why you call a field( or text field) a control since its passive in a report though, is it how Microsoft calls it?

YES

Fields are found in TABLES and they hold data

The things that appear on Forms and Reports that make the data visible are CONTROLS

You can have a Field ( in a table ) with exactly the same name as a COntrol ( on the form ). It is, in these cases, vital that you have a clear understanding of which you are dealing with - because there are many instances where you treat one differently to the other.

Also, in the contract of these boards, in getting one's mind around someone elses problem it is a great help if they use the correct terminology - else a lot of time can get wasted solving the wrong problem.

( - Just to add confusion - if you display a form in DataSheet view { appears like you are looking directly at the table } then the cells that you see are called FIELDS. ( Welcome to the wonderful world of Microsoft ! ))

G LS

gee.....

it's like when i learned to work with microsoft's domains all over again :0

the confusion is that my formation is in C++ and Java.... where a field... is indeed a text field...

well thanks.... I wont confuse ppl in these boards anymore :)

Fred

There's plenty of people around here doing a perfectly adequate job of confusing themselves - it was your sanity I was looking to protect. ;-)

G LS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back