Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Some (but not all) network mappings show as unavailable until reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReK410

IS-IT--Management
Sep 18, 2003
US
I have W7 on my workstation and have 5 mapped network drives. After leaving my workstation on for more than 24-48 hours, some (but not all) of the drive mappings, or in some cases, the folders within the mappings fail to open.

For example, like most of you, my H drive at work is the location of "My Documents" on the file server. I have dozens of folders in my H drive.

Some of the folders will show with a gray X on them and when I click on them they open blank. If I choose a "recent document" from Word or Excel that sits in these folders it fails to open with some variation of a "network location unavailable" message.

Also in my H drive is a folder containing about 2 dozen Outlook PST files. At random, some but not all of these disconnect themselves from Outlook and say the network location is unavailable.

The strangest part is that the problem always resolves itself with a reboot.

Any suggestions?

In Windows 7, what value for "Autodisconnect do you have in the registry location?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanServer\Parameters

I have a data value of "f" in hexadecimal (in Windows 7).

This old article may explain what I am thinking about.

Mapped Drive Connection to Network Share May Be Lost

Thanks for the reply, I have the same value that you do.

I noticed the article mentioned the red x over the icon but said that it quickly reconnects when you try to open the folder... that doesn't happen with me, it's totally unavailable until I reboot. :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back