Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

some basic citrix info required

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2k1981

Programmer
Aug 2, 2002
IE
Hey all,

There's a job I'm applying for where they're currently using a Novell Server but are considering upgrading to a citrix or windows server in the future. I don't know anything about citrix but if I do get called for interview, I'd like to be able to show some bit of knowledge of it, just in case it comes up. Can anybody tell me where to start?

The first place I would go would be Citrix is a thin client application that runs on a Windows 2K server, it is not an independent NOS. You usually see Citrix either pushing out desktops and applications to old pc's or straight up thin client dumb terminals. It is also used as a desktop client or web accessable application launcher (Nfuse). It will intergrate with Netware, so it is possible for someone to have a Netware NOS and use a Citrix box running on a Win2K server to provide application deployment.
Citrix is desktop light, it can run on a dos 486, and make it appear to be a Win2K running Office XP. But it is server heavy, with (this number varies according to who you talk to), about a 25 seat to 1 server ratio.
Another big con for me is that you need to have not only Citrix licenses, but, unless you are an all Win2K or XPpro shop, you need an MS terminal service license for each connection, and of course licenses for software, etc. so it is not the cheapest deployment around. If you retain Netware, then that licensing must also be figured in the mix.

Hopes this helps some, I'm sure that more knowledgable people will have more and better info for you.

Tell them to stay with Novell!!!:-D Citrix works with Novell just fine.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back