Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Some 98SE tweaks for the road 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerseyD

Technical User
Jun 10, 2003
US
Sorry to say I have moved on to W2KPro completely now so I guess I'll be heading over to the Win 2000 forums.(2 days ago to be exact)Anyway just before I did I made up a quick 98 Gamers Tweaks guide and thought I'd share the link with you guys here:

Incase some of you are wondering if W2K really is better for gaming.I honestly dont know yet as Im still busy tweaking all of these useless "services" away before I even install any games.
All I can say so far is that whatever the 20 odd "services"
were only about 10 of them are actually needed.

jdspin.gif

Be very wary of shutting down services, ensure u know exactly what they do before shutting them down.

rgr that kippy13.I'm learning that the hard way it seems.
I pretty much wasted my whole night yesterday trying to figure out why my autocomplete wasn't working in EI6.I had all my internet options set correctly.It turned out to be that I had disabled the "Protected Storage" service without totally understanding what it was for.
Anyway I'm trying to go by this guys suggestions and didnt read the long description fopr that service before disabling it I guess.

jdspin.gif

Not that it makes any difference to you now you've moved to Win 2000 but in your old Start-Up files you had two instances of both LoadPowerProfile and Pointer - you only need one of each.

Thanks for the tweaks ;)

It's nice to have the graphics to show the settings..good job...(though with dialup, takes long to D/L)...
yet tweaks are worth a *

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Your Right Imawag I have 2 LoadPowerProfiles but I was told that having 2 is normal.Maybe something to do with the 2 hardrives.As for the 2 Pointers,it must have been because had recently had to reinstall my intellimouse drivers and forgot to remove the old one.
And TekTippy4U
Sorry about that but Ive only ever had cable from the start so I always forget how bad it is for 56krs I relize I could have used text for alot of it but I also thought it might be good for people who want to just save all the jpegs to there HD for future reference:)

jdspin.gif

Ok I doctored that extra Pointer out of the SS you may need to empty your Temporary Internet Folder for the change to show
If you can direct me to a site that says that 2 Load Power Profiles is wrong I'll fix that too

jdspin.gif

FWIW
Also noticed the Nvidia Control Panel daemon twice....

I too have the Unidriver(?) installed for my TNT2 PRO card and deleted all the startups for desktop manager, cause I don't use/need them...I kept my 1 Cpl daemon though

your site got me foolin with the PrintScreen function and Paint along with FrontPage express....as a very slow starting/fiddling point for me to goof with, to think about using graphics to post/maintain a web site someday..
(i noticed your adobe photoshop runnin, in the graphics)

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

The Nvidia control panel daemon needs to run in startup or else any overclock youve done with coolbits etc.. wont kick in a boot time.

And yes I love PhotoShop I spend more time in PS than any other game/app on my whole comp :)

jdspin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back