Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[SOLVED] Voicemail to Email by SMTP not working for unknown reasons

Jarsat

IS-IT--Management
Feb 14, 2024
CA
Hi all, using Avaya 10.1.0.2.0 Build 2. For an unknown reason, there is no emails being sent with the voicemail. Worked for years.

We rebooted the IP Office server by pulling the electric plug, waited 15 seconds, plugged it back in but still not working.

We are using SMTP2GO, tried 465 SSL then 587 STARTTLS then 25 STARTTLS, even tried port 25 unsecured and no authentication (provided by our ISP), nothing is working and the weird thing is that even in the SMTP2GO interface, we don't even see that it is trying to send an email. Seems like the Avaya server is not even trying.

I don't see any logs or syslog in IP Office Manager. Cannot telnet to the server. What else can we try to make it work like before?

Thanks!

smtp settings.. try recommended port

SMTP server: mail.smtp2go.com
SMTP port: 2525 (or 80, 25, 8025 or 587 if that doesn’t work).
Username / Password: Turn on SMTP authentication and enter your account’s SMTP username and SMTP password.
Note: TLS/SSL is optional. TLS is available on the same ports. SSL is available on ports 465, 8465, and 443.

If that hoes not work I would assume your unit does not have web access

Hi all, using Avaya 10.1.0.2.0 Build 2. For an unknown reason, there is no emails being sent with the voicemail. Worked for years.

We rebooted the IP Office server by pulling the electric plug, waited 15 seconds, plugged it back in but still not working.

We are using SMTP2GO, tried 465 SSL then 587 STARTTLS then 25 STARTTLS, even tried port 25 unsecured and no authentication (provided by our ISP), nothing is working and the weird thing is that even in the SMTP2GO interface, we don't even see that it is trying to send an email. Seems like the Avaya server is not even trying.

I don't see any logs or syslog in IP Office Manager. Cannot telnet to the server. What else can we try to make it work like before?

Thanks!

Thanks!
I had an incident like this. My Avaya voicemail was not sending out copies of voicemails. We had switched my Rackspace to Intermedia and was using an Exchange email account as authentication and it wasn't working. I changed to using an IMAP mailbox with a different configuration and it worked.

If that hoes not work I would assume your unit does not have web access
I'm not sure what web access you are talking about but I can open up a webpage to the Avaya Server and I see AVAYA IP Office R10.1.0.2 with links to IP Office Web Manager, P Office Self Administration, IP Office ICR, System Status.

I had an incident like this. My Avaya voicemail was not sending out copies of voicemails. We had switched my Rackspace to Intermedia and was using an Exchange email account as authentication and it wasn't working. I changed to using an IMAP mailbox with a different configuration and it worked.
I just tried an IMAP mailbox, 587 with STARTTLS and 465 not STARTTLS, still not working.

It's weird with 465, there a little yellow triangle flashing near Port saying "The normal SMTP port is 25".

Anyone know if everytime you change this configuration you need to reboot the system by File / Save Configuration / Immediately? Everytime we do that, it takes about 12 minutes for the phone and their voicemail to come back, such a long time.

Problem solved. Kind of. Seems like the DNS doesn't work even though I put 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 for CloudFlare which is why the SMTP in the mail server doesn't accept any DNS and which is also why the NTP server doesn't work. Just found out you can go into File > Advanced > System Status to see that.

Altough I put Cloudflare DNS, the NTP server seems to work but the SMTP server doesn't work. So I've put the IP of mail server the port 25 of our ISP and it's working.

Also, seems like the TLS and SSL in this version of Avaya is just too old and probably doesn't work (like TLS 1.0 which is deprecated). Yes, it's unencrypted and no authentication but we will change this system soon. It's just in the meantime.

Happy to have make it work again and happy there is still some support from this forum, you guys are amazing !

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back