Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris vs RedHat

Status
Not open for further replies.

pivich

Technical User
Jan 24, 2007
CA
I'd like to know your opinion on this topic.
What do you think are the strengths of Solaris over RedHat?
What are Solaris' weaknesses?

Thank you!

Pros: Has been out on the market longer, one company develop solaris.

Weaknesses: Drivers for new hardware and/or "odd" hardware.

I have never purchased support for Redhat. Probably because most support is available freely anywhere on the internet. But I have GOLD contracts with Solaris.

Pros for solaris: ummmmmmmmm
Cons for solaris:
support desk response times
support desk knowledge
support desk tickets follow through
website is cumbersome
downloads are sometimes unavailable in the middle of the day
errors accessing BigAdmin and my support account all the time

But it is my job to support Solaris, so I do.

Hmm thats weird, cause I have been interacting with Sun for the last 10 years and I can count on one hand the times I felt the service was less than adequate. I sure can not say the same for RH when I have called for support. Sure you can find all you need online for RH, but if it is a complex issue, then you'll be searching the web for a while. That I do not like.

I call Sun, tell them XYZ is messed up, or whatever else, they open a case and assign it. The system works for me.

Supportdesk knowledge, their tier1 is like every other companies tier1 support desk, they query a DB for answers, if they can not fix it, then it gets passed on.

The website, I guess I'm just use to it, cause if they ever changed it then I would be mad, I guess I just understand the method of their madness in regards to their site. There is so much data there for the taking!!

Everyone has their own views on different hardware/software, that is was makes it interesting, there is no one company and/or product that is totally better than another. Well that is my opinion, but of course I will always favor running Solaris over any Linux distro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back