Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebo32

MIS
Feb 27, 2001
US
I'm new so bear with me...What are the differences between the Solaris versions (2.x, 7, 8)?

First off, 2.x also includes 7 and 8. Sun decided to change the OS naming convention after 2.6, so they called Solaris 2.7 and 2.8 Solaris 7 and 8 respectively. However, many of us still refer to 7 and 8 as 2.7 and 2.8 respectively.

As for actual differences between the various versions (2.6, 2.7, & 2.8), it would be best to go to the Sun site and view the new features documentation. All I can tell you is that there are new kernel features and enhancements, new versions of programs (sendmail, bind for example), as well as new files, file locations, and removal of some files as well. But that's just off the top of my head, as I said before, go to the Sun site and view the new features document.

Hope this helps.

- Stuart

Stuart,

Hey, thanks a bunch for the clarification...I will check the info on the Sun site as well...

Brad

ebo32,
for you reference,

SunOS 4.1.3 = Solaris 1.1.1
SunOS 4.1.4 = Solaris 1.1.2
SunOS 5.4 = Solaris 2.4
SunOS 5.5 = Solaris 2.5
SunOS 5.6 = Solaris 2.6
SunOS 5.7 = Solaris 2.7

good luck
lorie

Status