Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

solaris reboots by itself 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

supership

Technical User
Dec 19, 2009
IT
hi , i'm running solaris 10 in dual multiboot system , on x86 pc, my solaris intallation has start to give me problem during the boot of the OS , pc reboots by itself, I don't know which the cause could be, I tried opening menu.lst with vi and addint the "-v" flag to the kernel line , but the screen I obtained doesn't help me in findind the problem. can anyone help me ?
i uploaded file in a different site from box.net , hope this is not an infringiment

Can't get to the site yopu listed due to filters.

Does the system boot single user?

the system does't boot in graphical mode, the any one way I have to start the system is to boot with safemode voice in the grub but what i see is only a terminal, no visual interface. I searched on google and then I added even the -k flag to the kernel line and now when I boot in "normal" mode I see this message
panic cannot mount root path
and then appear the terminal . I think the problem is about setting the root, so that the os can find it , isn't it? is there a way to do this? I only know the basic unix command, and don't know what to do .

You need to determine where the OS is installed and edit the grub location for root.

The entries on my x86 box have
findroot (rootfs0,1,a)

If your diagnostic partition boots properly, make sure the "normal" partition entries are similar to the findroot entry for the failsafe.

1- Boot in diagnostic mode
2- set your TERM (# TERM=vt100)
3- edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file using vi and correct the entry.

You can also edit the entry on the fly when you enter grub, the instructions are on screen, then once the system is up correct it with another editor if you choose.

make sure your bios is set to boot from the correct disk. I ran into a similar issue when I was patching. I have the correct disk in the menu.list and even in the solaris/boot.env, but the bios was trying to boot off the wrong disk making the system panic.

if this is not possible due to your configuration, also check the /boot/solaris/boot.env file to make sure it is right. (I think it is called the, I don't have a system in front of me)

@domburns62
I controlled the menu.lst file but the "normal" boot and the safe boot have identical root , I start thinking the problem is elsewhere but I really don't know where. I know too few about solaris to have an idea about this.
@djr111
i've an only one hd , anyway I'll check the bios for be sure.I've already see the boot.env file content with the cat command , but I don't know what its content should be in the normality, so if you tell me what I should controll , I can do even this check.

It could be that the device paths are messed up.

Boot into fail safe mode, then run the format command and check what the disk drive controller number is (ie is it c0t0d0 or c1t0d0) then check the /etc/vfstab file, what are the entries for /... if the hardqware thinks it should be c1 and vfstab thinks it should be c0 then that is the issue, edit the vfstab file to correct.

I tried to execute format in the single-user mode , and the output was

c0d1
DEFAULT cyl 1911 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63
/pci@0,0/pci-ide@1f,2/ide@0/cmdk@1,0

when I start in single-user mode , console says that an operative system has been found , and ask me if I want it monuted on /a , I digit "y" and press enter. So I opened both the /etc/vfstab file and the /a/etc/vfstab and I saw that the vfstab on /a is different from the other one . In vfstab on /a/etc i found this lines

/dev/dsk/c1d1s1
/dev/dsk/c1d1s0 /dev/rdsk/c1d1s0
/dev/dsk/c1d1s7 /dev/rdsk/c1d1s1

while in the vfstab present in /etc nothing there isn't nothing of similar. Moreover the message of the format command was only c0d1 , while in the vfstab there is cXdXsX.
Should I replay the vfstab in /etc with the one in /a/etc ?

you need to modify the one mounted n /a.

The other is the mini kernel (OS) used to get this process to work. You would see the same thing if you were to try to do a network mount of single-user.

So you must remember to cd into /a first and than vi etc/vfstab (no / in front of etc)

or vi /a/etc/vfstab, all subsequent commands must follow the same structure.

Some times you need to set your environment in order to get vi to work, or your environment to show properly.

in csh,

setenv EDITOR vi
setenv TERM vt100

others are (vt220,dtterm) you pick your preference.

hope this helps a little

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back