Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris Keyboard Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyRaza

Technical User
Jan 11, 2002
GB
I have 2 solaris boxes connected via a kvm.
On one of the systems the keyboard shift key and control keys are ok, on the other one they are swapped. I dont know if other keys differ to.
How can I change it's behaviour???
Both systems are running Solaris 9

If you switch the keyboards between the system how is the problem affected?

There is a document on Sunsolve (ID 70986 "How to change the layout of a keyboard")

The systems are connected via a blackbox kvm.
On 1 system (280R), the keyboard is normal, but on the (V880) the control key and shift key are reversed.

It sounds like there is some difference in the machine setup like keyboard, locale or landuage.

So you're using the same keyboard on both Solaris boxes? Suprising, Solaris is normally pretty good at detecting the right keyboard layout to use, but I guess not in this case.

To remap the keys on one of the systems you'll need to use xmodmap. You can pick up the current keycodes that are set up for the shift and control keys by running /usr/openwin/demo/xev

Have a look at the man for xmodmap and you should see how to remap them, but note that this will only remain in effect for that session. You'll need to make sure that xmodmap is run at the start of each session. This is the Sun recommended way rather than changing the keyboard layout file which is being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back