Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris Intel install on laptop??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomii

Technical User
Mar 12, 2001
GB
Hi All,

I'm tring to install Solaris 8 for Intel onto my DELL laptop, but doesn't seem to be possible. Get error with not detecting my PCMCIA, screen, and keyboard even...has anyone tried this before and got it working????

Thanks All!!

tomi

You cannot install this on the Laptop because Sloaris on Intel will not interface with the PCMCIA, it does IDE PCI
SCSI etc... but no PCMCIA

It would be nice if it did...

I also got same problem install Solaris 8 Intel on Compaq server.Because compaq server used smartstart. But I can install on compaq workstation without smartstart cd.
You can try install Solaris Intel on laptop without using Dell CD like smartstart cd from compaq.

Count430, that is incorrect - Solaris 8 for Intel *WILL* work on a notebook with PCMCIA. I did it on an old Toshiba Tecra 510 with a 3COM 3C589 PCMCIA NIC. It was a pain to configure but do-able.
Before doing anything, tommys, consult the hardware compatibility list for Solaris 8 Intel - it may save you some headaches.

Best of luck!

Has anyone been able to install Solaris 8 for intel on a laptop and NOT have any problems.......Meaning the nic and video came up without patches and plugs????

jimmy1264@netzero.net

Yeh, my colleague did on a DELL Latitude, he is away on a course for therest of the week, will speak to him Monday.
Ged Jones

Top man

You might think about just downloading and installing Linux on the laptop for the extra hardware support, if you are not trying to do any development work that is you will be very happy at the performance of the lap after you have installed Red Hat 7.3. I have been running it on my new laptop for the past couple of weeks and am very please so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back