Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris Fork Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

beginnerkid

Programmer
Jul 20, 2001
IN
I ran in to a strange problem, we have 2 implementation of Solaris 7, on Sparc. I have application which runs as Deamon process (main) and creates (forks) child process with another binary.In certain timeout periods the main Deamon process kills each child processess and then re create them individually . This is part of functionality as to get refreshed configuration data every certain amount of time.

This was an old application and was running fine on both the m/c. I did a minor change, but not any kind of functioanlity change. What is happening when I run the application in one m/c it runs just fine but on another one Main deamon process creates child process for 2 versions(old binaryll as new binary). Why it is happening when I rename old binary and replace it with new binary at the location main deamon process picks the binary ?

Please help, is it something to do with fork problem ?

Thanks in advance
Rakesh

Change included to pick one set of data depending on a flag setting while reading the config data. So essentially I added a flag and nothing else.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back