Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris Crash Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevMcKinney

Technical User
Oct 26, 2005
US
Does anyone have a really good resource for using and understanding this utility? I'd really appreicate it.

The only good detailed resource I know for looking at dumps is the book "PANIC! UNIX System Crash Dump Analysis Handbook" by Chris Drake and Kimberley Brown, ISBN 0131493868.

This book is now out of print, but you can pick up a used copy from sellers on Amazon.com:
Hope this helps.

It's just a graphical tool instead of using mdb or another debugger with subcommands from the command line.

Unless you understand how to read a crash the utility is useless. The book referenced above is probably the best you can get for understanding them, then use the book information with the Crash Analysis Tool.

Just to confirm, is the tool you are talking about iscda (Initial System Crash Dump Analysis)?

Annihilannic.

I believe he is talking about the Solaris Crash Analysis Tool (SUNWscat).

I am refering to the SUNWscat utility. I need to learn how to read the dump and msgbuf data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back