Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris Admin transition to Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponetguy2

MIS
Aug 28, 2002
US
I've been working as a Solaris Admin for three years. I was recently offered a job as a RH Linux/Solaris Admin. I'm concerned if my transition would run smoothly. I run RH at home at it seems fairly similar to Solaris. Can I say that my transition would be smooth?

Sincerely,

ponetguy2

Fairly smooth, yes. The problem with Linux is that it has become so windows like that it's difficult to use without all the administration GUI tools.

Cheers

Henrik Morsing
Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration
& p690 Technical Support

Being in the same position, but the other direction, I'd say it's easier to perform command-line tasks on Linux, rather than on Solaris. At least on 'out-of-the-box' installs. Unix is Unix...

IMHO

Morsing, I can't say that I agree with you on this one. I never install a GUI on any of my Linux servers. I don't even know how to use any of the GUI tools because there is no need to.

Chris

if i have to work with Suse Linux, i have to use yast, never managed to work out how to set up network cards any other way ... it's painful to set up dhcp any other way as well. :)

jad, I don't use SuSE, but on Red Hat you simply edit the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX files to edit your NICs. For a DHCP server, /etc/dhpcd.conf.

ChrisP

I've been working with suse (long time ago) and can remember that there was a very large configfile where you also should set the Network config (or else it will be overwritten by YaST).

That why I moved from suse (they wanted YAST to control everything... jech ...).

--

Maurits

~ There is no place like 127.0.0.1 ~

You could actually disable yast in SuSE. I have since tried Mandrake and the new SuSE which is much worse.

The amount of thousands of lines long scripts that uses deep levels of if statements to automate everything is just huge. What a nightmare.

Chris, can you tell me how to change my display manager in an easy way? If I don't decide when installing it takes hours of debugging to do it afterwards.

Cheers

Henrik Morsing
Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration
& p690 Technical Support

Morsing, in RH90, you can change your display manager by editing the /etc/sysconfig/desktop file. Add DISPLAYMANAGER= to the end of the file. It can either say KDE, GNOME, or XDM. This is documented in the /usr/share/doc/initscripts*/sysconfig.txt file. This file is sourced by the /etc/X11/prefdm file when entering runlevel 5.

ChrisP
RHCE, LPIC-1, CCNA, CNE, MCSE, +10 others

I agree with fluidII Making the transistion should be smooth and not to complex.

I dont' run any Linux server OS's with a GUI. All text...easier to manage and administor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back