Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 9 UFS Maximum file size restriction 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhobsw

Technical User
Oct 26, 2001
US
1. I am running Solaris 9 on my four Sun V480 servers. The servers will not see a SAN partition that is bigger then 1TB.
2. The file system is the UFS file system.
3. I found something online that the UFS file system is limited to seeing 1TB. It said to change the /etc/vfstab file and make sure largefiles is in the lines for each file system. It also said to run the command ulimit -a | grep file and see what is returned and it said unlimited.
4. One other thing was to check the /etc/default/login file and make sure the ulimit=0 line is uncommented. This line is not uncommented so I am wondering if this is my problem.

My question is how do I see a partition bigger then 1TB using the UFS file system and using Solaris 9 (04/04).

How do you know it has a UFS on it if you can't see it? In other words... how did you create this filesystem in the first place?

As far as I know the largefiles option only affects the size of files you can create on the filesystem, not the size of the filesystem itself.

Annihilannic.

I am using the UFS files system on the V480. The Solaris box does not see the partition which is bigger then 1TB.
I went back and looked at the paperwork that I had. The largefiles option is for file size limits, not file system size. Maybe it is a Solaris 9 limitation. Can I get this operating system to see a file system bigger then 1TB.

David

Did you use the -T option when newfs? I believe this enables the multiterrabyte fs which was available in Sol 9 08/03. This should allow for 16 TB fs (1023 GB single file).

elgrandeperro ,

Thanks for the input. That is what I was missing. I ran the newfs command with the -T option and the server was able to recognize a 1.5TB partition.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back