Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 9 sendmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibisuresh

Technical User
Jul 13, 2005
US
We are having a solaris 9 server and this is only server we have on solaris 9. We are trying to setup to send emails. As far as my understanding the sendmail daemons are not required to be running to send emails. It is just required to receive emails. It works perfectly fine with other servers which are solaris 8. When i tried to send email on solaris 9 box using mailx command it gives the following message.

stat=Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]

Thanks in Advance

Do you have a [tt]mailhost[/tt] defined in your [tt]/etc/hosts[/tt] file? If not, copy the entry from one of your systems that's working.

Hope this helps.

As sambones mentioned check /etc/hosts for the mailhost alias. Looks like it is pointing to itself as the mail server, I would also check your /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/nsswitch.conf so that DNS is also used to resolve names.

For sendmail on solaris9
put the entry for Smart relay host in the submit.cf.
Does it works?

For sendmail on solaris9
put the entry for Smart relay host in the submit.cf.
Does it work?

senmail works with DNS by default; it seems like your domain's MX is pointing to your host or sendmail could not resolve a domain (because you entered a /etc/hosts entry for your host like "10.20.30.40 hyhostname. loghost") and tries to deliver mails locally.
If your host is this domains MX I suggest to use /etc/mail/main.cf as a /etc/mail/sendmail.cf; I (always do this ;-)) suggest to use correct /etc/hosts entry like "10.20.30.40 myhostname myhostname.mydomain.top loghost"; I suggest to have DNS working with correct MX entries. If you don't want to use DNS I suggest to setup sendmail.cf with a m4 macrocompiler not using DNS at all. As mentioned above, a DS entry (smarthost)in sendmail.cf may be the missing link, if all other things are setup correctly

Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years in the domain of the OS, Backup and Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back