Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 9 Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpongeBob1

Programmer
Mar 1, 2002
US
Hi,

I have over 3 years experience on the Solaris O/S, not a lot I agree, but I wish to try for Certification.

Has anyone any tips on how to best do this;

Should I set up a machine at home and install Solaris 9 on this, as a sandbox, or can the exam be done on a purely theoretical basis?

I do have some sysadmin experience - but not enough to pass the exam, what have other people done in this regard?

Thanks,
JC

I doubt you can do it purely on theory, unless you have a lot of experience to draw on.

I did the complete set some years back ( ) and it was NOT easy, but I understand they have dropped the more difficult sections since then.

There are some Solaris related cert resources at
Tony Lawrence
SCO Unix/Linux Resources tony@pcunix.com

Hi SpongeBob

I was out of the sysadmin game for a while and all I did was read the book and hey presto I passed both parts 1 and 2 plus the Network admin with out getting back into the sys admin mylarky. 3 years exp will be enough I reckon to breeze through these exams, the pass mark is only something like 75% if that. Just read the book, know your stuff and you will pass it.

Just for the record I am know back in the hot seat as a sys admin and loving it. Why did I leave !!!

Hey ProudToBeLeeds:

I am also interested in the Solaris Administration. Can you please tell me as to what book did you purchase to study for it. I have been working with Unix (Red Hat and Solaris) around 4 years (2 years as tech support) and 2 years while in the School lab as a monitor.

I will appreciate any help regarding this issue.

Thanks
Akshtray

Solaris 9 Administration Certification Study Guide by Bill Calkins is the good book . And BigAdmin docs from SUN site are a lot of help for preparation.

I have gone through SOlaris 8 by Bill Calkins. Hey spradeep1979 , is this solaris 8 book sufficient to pass for solaris 9 exam. Is anyone have pdf for the solaris9 byBill Calkins. Your response will be appreciatiable.

Thanks ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back