Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 9 - Beginner question regarding creating a user

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainman

ISP
Mar 22, 2001
US
Ok, I'll admit it. I'm new to Solaris. That being the case, I'm trying to make myself a userid besides root. The process I'm going thru is

while root:

useradd [username]

passwd [username] (then prompts me to put in the pwd)

In the past when I used Redhat, it automatically sets up the /home/[user] directory, along with basic environment variables. It seems to me that this is not the case with Solaris 9. Can somebody point me in the right direction? I'd like to get a user acct setup and running.

Thanks for any responses -- Rainman

The syntax is; useradd -u usedid -c "comment" -d directory -m -s shell -g groupname . Example: useradd -u 25 -c "John Doe" -d /export/home/jdoe -m -s /bin/bash -g adm .

An important difference between linux and solaris is the use of /export/home to house home directories.

When a user logs on to the solaris machine they will find their home directory under /home where it is mounted whilst they are logged on. This is the case with NIS and NIS+ anyway.

If you are new to solaris and need a GUI prop of some kind to help out then I would recommend webmin which you can get as a package from download the gz file, unzip it. (Use a linux box if you have not got gunzip on your solaris box. Then do a pkgadd -d <webmin file name>.

You can then connect from a web browser on localhost:10000 and log in as root with your password.

One great thing about webmin is that you can install it on linux as well and administer your machines from anywhere on your network. If you are on an insecure site then use the ssl add on which gives you https access to maintain your servers. Webmin is not perfect but it will do things like add multiple users and create home dircetories etc very well. Its main features are very good indeed and it has helped me integrate linux servers with solaris where solaris has some shorcomings.

hello,

if u use

useradd x

it gives default setup to the user.

if you want your own home directory, and shell
you must specify the option.

that is,

useradd -d /usr/.. -s /bin/sh .... x

For furthe option to help.

type: man useradd

bye
balachandar