Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 9 and CD-ROMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

grindel

Technical User
Jun 25, 2002
CA
Hi all;

I've just installed Solaris 9, and have a big problem. I can't get the OS to recognize a CD of any description. I insert the media, the drive fires up, then nothing - nada - zip! Not mounted. I can't even eject the dang thing without actually taking the system down to "init 0". I know the drive is good, because I can boot from it no problem - it's just after the system is up that all this happens. When I type "eject" I get the "No default media available" error. If I try to mount the CD manually, I get "Too many mount points, /cdrom is busy, or the maximum number of mount points has been exceeded"(or something close to that). It's weird isn't it??? I haven't much hair left at this point, so any suggestions welcome. BTW, I did do a "boot -r" with no effect.

What have you mount all?

Can you make a umountall and then mount only the CDROM?

regards ph

We've just got hold of solaris 9 cd media and if you'll notice, the disks are enclosed in a dvd plastic container so I am assumming that the media is on a dvd disk.

Unless your drive is a dvd drive, just an ordinary cd drive won't be able to recognize the media.

After spending about 3 hours on the phone with Sun support testing *everything* on the system, I found that, (starting with Solaris 9?) you have the line in /etc/inetd.conf that starts

100155/1

uncommented (it comes that way, but if you're like me, you might have commented a lot of stuff out) for the CD drive to work.

A small little needle in a large haystack that I like to call Solaris 9.
:)

Don't get me wrong, I love OE 9, but a lot of new stuff to learn and understand.

-r --
robb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back