Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsekhar

Technical User
Dec 4, 2002
US
Hi,

I am able to use nslookup on the solaris 8 machine, but ping does not work.

Ex. If say nslookup yahoo.com it comes up with the ip adresses, but if I use ping yahoo.com it says unknown host.

I have my dns servers correctly in /etc/resolv.conf.
Any tips with this.

Thanks

are you behind a firewall? that happens with me on my solaris machines at work (and my win machines for that matter). i can get to yahoo.com and whatever else thru a browser because of course the browser is config'd to use a proxy for connecting to external sites. but ping has no way of knowing about that and only routes thru internal nets, returning "unknown host" for anything external. i wonder if there's a way to config the other network services to route thru the proxy? then again you did say that nslookup is working...hmmm, that's where my knowledge ends - sorry, and sorry if i pointed out something painfully obvious that you already knew ;). i'll be interested to see what others have to say on this matter at any rate...
tara

Check your /etc/nsswitch.conf should say 'hosts: files dns' if you want to use DNS for hostname resolution.

Rename the /etc/nssswith.conf to nsswitch.old and copy the /etc/nsswitch.dns file to /etc/nsswitch.conf.

Thanks guys I did what julianbarnett and comtec17 have told me and it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back