Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 8: unable to write in a mounted file

Status
Not open for further replies.

agilo

Programmer
Feb 4, 2004
TR
Hi,

I do have a strange problem with NFS, a file system is mounted from a server on the client. A daemon runs locally on the client requires writing some info in that mounted file. This does not happen, the daemon is not able to do that (tested to be ok on local file system). The file is owned by the same user who owns the daemon, and all permissions are ok.

How could it be that a user has all the reqired permissions to create and write into a NFS file, but it can not.

Are there any NFS options to restrict writing on a mounted file system, even for the owner ?

Please, help...

thanks

On your NFS server, cleck the /etc/dfs/dfstab file... This is the file that sets up NFS shares. Check to see if your NFS entry has a -o ro entry (options - read only) or other restrictions like group privileges. If the privileges to the share are okay, try unmounting the NFS share on your client and remounting it.

Thanks bfitzmai,

I have checked the privilages and they look all ok, also remounting the NFS share did not help.

any ideas ..

Have your user verify his/her userid and groupid are the same on your NFS server and client.

Another thing you can try is see if your user can create a file in the NFS mounted directory... The command: touch <filename> should work... If he/she can create a file, list the new file and the file that is giving your trouble to verify the privileges are the same...

ls -aFl <filename> <working filename>

Try using option -o anon=0 for testing if that´s a problem permission...

Best Regards
HTT

Thanks Guys,

Using touch generates a new file with the same permissions, the daemon is able to generate a new file but unable to write inside its pid.

Tsuba, with which command do I use the options you mensioned (please, clear alittle bit).

The question is, how a user has right to generate a new file, but unable to write inside it ?

Regards,

How are you mounting the NFS share... Are you mounting through /etc/auto_home, /etc/auto_direct or /etc/vfstab?

Hi,

I am mounting NFS share using /etc/vfstab, and the options used for this directory are rw

Agilo,
Just tried out your set up mounting a NFS directory using the /etc/vfstab. I normally use autofs to mount my NFS shares. My entry in the /etc/vfstab file is:

<NFS Server>:/projects/tempproj - /export/home/tempproj nfs 2 yes -

As you can see, I used no options in the client's /etc/vfstab file. I also created the mount point in /export/home and gave it the mount point the proper user and group ID and set the privileges to 775.

I was able to create/modify a file without any problems. Is the /etc/vfstab setup that I used simular to yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back