Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 8 Solstice mirroring 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

iambosley

Technical User
Jun 12, 2003
US
Running Solaris 8 with 2 scsi drives. Used Solstice metatool
to mirror the boot drive /dev/dsk/c0t0d0 to /dev/dsk/c0t1d0..
Normal boot mounts /dev/md/dsk/d7 as root filesystem..
Tried boot -a with all the defaults and when it tries to mount /dev/md/dsm/d7 as root I get message : mount /dev/md/dsk/d7 is not this fstype. From shell fsck for
/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 and /dev/md/rdsk/d7 both show filesystem is ok.. Even though auto-boot works now I may have to use
boot -a some day for recovery and I am not sure why it is not working ?????????

I think that the device name /dev/md/dsm/d7 is assigned by Solstice. PROM may not know this name.

Hi. What's your vfstab entry for the d7 device look like? I assume /dev/md/dsm/d7 is a typo?

Shell command fsck -F ufs /dev/md/dsk/d7 runs clean..

Filesystem type is ufs ..

Shell command df -k shows root mounted on /pci@1f,4000/scsi@3/disk@0,0:a

Messages indicate root mounted as read-only...

This may help and may not.

/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 is usually linked to something in the /devices/pci@XXXXXXX directory. Metadevices (/dev/md/dsk/d0) are linked to /devices/pseudo/md@0(or 1)XXXXX.

I have a few theories on what it could be, but I am not sure what the '-a' switch does, as I have not used it. Can anyone fill me in?

Will

-a means "ask", and allows you to specify an alternate kernel image or alternate /etc/system file, etc. at boot time, in case you messed them up.

Annihilannic.

I had exactly this problem yesterday - system crashed and came up with root mounted as you decribe and read-only. I did a fsck -y /dev/md/dsk/d7 (root) and rebooted and it cam up properly.
have you check the fs type in vfstab - the line for root should read :
/dev/md/dsk/d7 /dev/md/rdsk/d7 / ufs 1 no -
Mike

Machine will boot without errors using autoboot or the boot
command WITHOUT THE -a OPTION.. Appears Solstice mirroring
does not work with the boot -a command ..........

Sunsolve BUGID 1147685 documented this problem back in 1994! but doesn't appear to have offered a solution other than don't use boot -a with a disksuite root disk

Thanks,
I looked at the bug report. Unfortunately like you said there is not a resolution... Does anyone know if Veritas supports the boot -a ???

I would think with all the other options available to recover after hosing a kernel or something, it really wouldn't be needed anymore. You can boot cdrom -s and mount your filesystems in /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 even when you are using disksuite and fix your problems from there. I would have though Sun didn't put a lot of time into a workaround because other (possibly easier) options exist...

I tried boot cdrom -s and mounted the root file system as
/mnt.. This is a very good alternative to using boot -a..
Thanks ...

Roger.Bosley
Capital Blue Cross
roger.bosley@capbluecross.com
(717)-541-7123

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back