Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 8 says: Link down, Cable Problem ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

irshad

Technical User
Jan 17, 2001
US
I have these on my home LAN:

1. Sun Ultra 5 Solaris 8
2. Win 2000 PC
3. Win NT laptop

They are all hooked into a LinkSys Router.
The Router is hooked into my Motorala Cable Modem.

Here's the problem:
The PC and the laptop can see each other on the LAN.
The Solaris 8 is only visible on the Lan INTERMITTENTLY.

The lights on the Router for the PC and laptop are always ON.
When I reboot the Solaris box, the lights on the Router sometimes come ON, and sometimes they stay OFF. When they stay OFF, I see the message: "Link down, Cable Problem?" during reboot.

I have tried different cables, and tried various combinations of the 4 avalable ports on the back of my Router.

If I plug in the Sun box DIRECTLY into my cable modem, then I don't see the above message. (but then I don't have a LAN anymore)

Please help, I've been struggling with this for a while now.

Thanks,
Irshad Ahmed (I am relatively new to Sun)

Irshad,

Is the sparc still only visible intermittently if you unplug the cable modem from the router?
Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com

Hi Mike,

If I unplug the cable modem from the router, then there is no concept of "visibility", right? The Solaris box becomes a stand-alone box, and it is cut off from the LAN.

Then, I can only log on to it from the console.

Irshad

It seems to be a problem with sun interface parameters (Link speed, Link type, etc),check with "ndd", if both interfaces and have same speed and same duplex mode...if is okay try disable auto_configuration for sun interface and force 100/half-duplex or 10/half-duplex.

Regards,

CA.

Modifications might need to be made in the /etc/system file.
(hme settings)

PROBLEM FIXED !!

Thank you all for the information.
I fixed the problem by adding the following lines to my /etc/system and then rebooting:

set hme:hme_adv_autoneg_cap=0
set hme:hme_adv_100T4_cap=0
set hme:hme_adv_100fdx_cap=1
set hme:hme_adv_100hdx_cap=0
set hme:hme_adv_10fdx_cap=0
set hme:hme_adv_10hdx_cap=0

Thank you all very much,
Irshad Ahmed

Glad you're sorted Irshad, and thanks for posting your solution. Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back