Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 8 keeps shutting down by itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

irshad

Technical User
Jan 17, 2001
US
Hi,

My Sun Solaris 8 (Ultra 5) box keeps shutting down by itself (completely powers off) after I leave it alone for a few minutes / hours.

Is it designed to do this if there is no activity or if no one is logged on or something?

Thanks,
Irshad (I am new to Sun)

When you installed the operating system you were asked if you wanted Power Management turned off or on. You probaby selected on and if you are using the equipment as a server you should always choose to turn this option off and have it NOT ask the question at each reboot - there is a place on the same screen to select this option. I'm afraid after install I don't know how to change the option but at least you know what it probably is. Perhaps someone else will know how to turn it off now.

Quote from Sun Manual: "Power Management Software automatically save the system state and turns the system off when it is idle for 30 minutes."

Hello !
Don't know if this helps you, but in the /etc/power.conf there is a row that looks something like this:
"autoshutdown 30 9:00 9:00 shutdown"

Change that row so it looks like this:
"autoshutdown 30 9:00 9:00 noshutdown"

Not much of a change but it worked for me :)

/Danne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back