Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 8 install headache 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rblue

Technical User
Jul 20, 2000
US
Hardware: SparcServer 20 MP, 9GB HDD, 192MB RAM

Problem:
I installed Solaris 8 from CDROM with a 2GB root partition. The install goes fine, I reboot the box and the reboot fails with error: bootblk: can't find the boot program.

Steps to resolve:
Boot to CDROM (boot cdrom -s)
mount hard drive (mount /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s0 /mnt)
copy ufsboot from cdrom to hard drive (cp /platform/`uname -i`/ufsboot /mnt/platform/`uname -i`)
checked /etc/vfstab (everythings fine)

Reboot - same error

Someone told me that there is some prep work I need to do on older Solaris boxes before I can install 8, is this true?

I normally wouldn't waste time on this hardware, but it is my test environment for Tivoli so I need it running. Any help is much appreciated.

Rob

have you installed the bootblock?

# installboot /mnt/usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s0

That didn't work either. Could the fact that my swap partition is at the beginning of the disk?

I had similar problem with Solaris 7. I will never use older hardware to install Solaris 7 or 8 using Installer CD. Boot PROM always look for the boot block in the biggining and when you use installer CD it creates Swap file system starting at 0 block.

Take Solaris 8 software CD 1 of 2 and install the Solaris 8 again from scratch. Select auto boot and then after the boot install the software from 2 of 2 CD when prompted. You will not ask for 2 of 2 if you don't go for Entire distribution or Server installtion.

It had worked for me on Solaris 7 for same issue, so hope it works for you too. I have then always used this method on Solaris 8 and have no issues.

yeah that'd probably be why it's not finding the bootblk. i've got solaris 8 running on my sparc5 with a 2gb disk and i did the full install + EOM, so i'm pretty sure your hardware can handle it. just make sure to put the boot partition at the beginning.

Moving the swap partition off the beginning of the disk did the trick. Thanks to both of you.

Rob

It could also be a revision problem. I ran into a similar issue when I tried to install Solaris 8 10/01 on a Sparc20, starting off with the Install CD, and going through the whole process, and then on reboot, it couldn't find the boot file. I went through whole exact process again, this time with Solaris 8 01/01, and it worked fine.

You can still make it bootable even you have swap on partition 1. Use the command at "OK" prompt:

OK boot disk:b

You can make it permenant by doing this:
OK setenv boot-device disk:b net (default was "disk net")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back