Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 8 for Intel installation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

assp

Technical User
Nov 21, 2000
IN
Hi,

I have got a Cyrix MII 300 mhz cpu with a 430 TX m/b. Now whenever I start the solaris installation the system hangs while trying to detect the drivers. I have got 2 hdd's. One is 4.3 gb Seagate HDD and the other is 17 gb Seagate HDD. Can someone pls tell me whats the problem and what's the suggestion.

Thanks in advance...

Have you verified that all your hardware is supported by Solaris 8?

Tony

it won't be ... most systems seem not to be ...

what do you have in your machine? scsi cards, ide, network, display, anything like that ... ?

go to sun's site and see if the individual components are supported ( ) and then, if you still have a problem, leave a message, and i'll try and see if we've done it before.

Hi jed,
I got frustrated of my Cyrix mII CPU and so I reluctently upgraded my system to Celeron 633 Mhz CPU with an i810 motherboard. Now my problem is that Solaris is getting installed allright but it can't recognize the onboard 82810 agp card and so I am getting a messed up kind of graphics. The whole of CDE looks crappy. And moreover I can't install all the GNU stuff from the companion CD distributed by Sun along with Solaris 8. Can you please help me out on this .

Thanks...

if the AGP is not supported, you're kinda goosed ...you could go out and buy a card on the compatability list and insert that ... that should cure it ... (if you can find one)

you could of course go the GNU route, and find the driver (probably for linux, but compilable) and install your own windowing server ...

not nice, so it might be easier to buy a seperate compatible card.

The solaris install disk boots and detects ... detection is 100% complete and then it shows please waits and doesn't go further ... any clues ?

you probably have a conflict ... sorry ... anything on the screen when it happens, is it a network thing, or do you have special device cards?

the graphics card doesn't usually stop it until you have to start the windowing interface, so it's probably i/o based.

might be your motherboard ... but best not to think that way unless you have a different spare to hand ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back