Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 8 Display Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

chhumphries

Programmer
Jul 27, 2007
US
I am trying to set up Solaris 8 to where any user's output will be displayed directly to :0.0 . The reason for this is that we have network daemon running that will need to through some X windows up, but will not have direct access to the root display. Any help is greatly appreciated. Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

I'm not sure I understand you, but let me give this a shot.

If you want to set your display, you need to set the "DISPLAY" environment variable.
csh: setenv DISPLAY localhost:0.0
sh/ksh: DISPLAY=localhost:0.0;export DISPLAY

If you don't have permissions to display to a given console, you can open up access with the "xhost" command:

xhost + (grants all access, security vulnerability)
xhost - (removes X access from server)
xhost +systemname (grants X access for a specific server)
xhost -systemname (removes X access for a specific server)

Opening X access completely is helpful, but grants the world access to capture your screen and do other naughty things.

Is there anyway to do "xhost +" from startup. Since no one is actually logging into the machine, there is no one that can enter "xhost +" and give me access to the display. Or is there a way to give myself permission to have root display access.

All I need is for everyone to have access to the display. This is a secure machine, so I'm not worried about mischievous behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back