Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 7 Installation failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have a brand new E250 & am trying to put Solaris 7 on it from CDROM. I boot from CD and go through the the system setup script but - when the questions stop and I go to the OS install phase it fails out. I am left with a # prompt & have some level of OS to work with (I think from the CD).

Is this a known problem? or have I overlooked some obvious issue ?

I have done a lot of 7 installs and not seen this.
Try checking your partition sizes.

Ged Jones

Top man

Where in the install process does the installation fail and falls out to the OpenBoot prompt? Or does it drop you to an ok prompt?

What's the error message that you are gettg.
Exactly where it fails.I mean after which step.
Most probably the error will be the incorrect version of Solaris.I think E250 requires at least version 11/99 or later of Solaris 7.You can find this information from the installation guide coming with E250.Try installing the latest version.
Hope this helps
Sun

have you just set up the display/mouse/keyboard controls?

if so, did you skip it, or did you tell it incorrect data, or did it crash, or not display any test screen ... thats the usual place i've seen it crash on me.

what has it just asked you before it crashes?

You haven't clearly mentioned the message.As far as I know If the media is wrong it won't even start the scripts. Try with another media(solaris 7 server 11/99).

Is there a EPROM update out there for the E250 ? I've had problems getting sol7 to install from CD before, that was on E220s. It was solved by getting the latest EPROM and installing it. They were new machines but the EPROMS they shipped with were a bit behind the times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back