Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SOLARIS 7 - ADDING A DLT TAPE DRIVE?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBDIR

MIS
Sep 5, 2003
GB
Solaris 7 Sun Sparc server
Can anyone provide assistance relating to adding a DLT tape drive?
The server is new & has never had the tape drive attached - any good faqs relating to this?

Help!

More info , just look at the Adaptec site briefly and didn't saw only a driver for OpenFirmware that is for 2.5 and 2.6.

Also on your Ultra 5 are you running 64 or 32 bits Arch.?

this command will show: isainfo

If you get "sparcv9 sparc" then you are running 64 bits and the driver you loaded is for a 32 bit O/S.

Tuka you have the patience of a saint!

I have aquired a Quantum DLT4000 which is in the st.conf as a supported device (applause)

'There is a good possibility the driver you loaded is for Soalris 2.5 and 2.6 not SOLARIS 7. Go to Adaptec web site and get a new driver for Solaris 7'

I agree however i could not locate a better option - will keep looking.

Tuka,

Can you supply a couple of known SCSI cards that will have support for Solaris 7?

Thanks again

Hope this isn't deemed an unhelpful comment, but I expect most peeps here would also advise you to upgrade your o/s to 8 or 9 if you can.

EOL announcments for 7 are likley to come soon, although they always give two or three years grace.

Dubbs.

dUbbsNIX, Not at all.

I have inherited the system and have no option at the moment to move to 8/9 I'm afriad but I do agree ;)

There is a good possibility that Adaptec doesn't have a driver for Solaris 7 that support the 2944, you could inquire via email.

Is the DLT4000 a Single-Ended SCSI device? Remmember the 2944 board is a DIFF controller. So there isn't compatibility between the above two devices.

Here are some number for supported Sun controllers.

Option X5010A P/N 375-0097 Single channel Single Ended
Ultra/Wide SCSI PCI

Option X6541A P/N 375-0006 Dual Differential Ultra/Wide
Both options fully support Soalri 2.5 thru Solaris 9.

By the way if you would like to boot your system to 32 bits and try the Adaptec driver you could give it a try.

Here are examples on how to boot 64 or 32 bits O/S.

Q5. How do I configure the system to boot a 64-bit kernel?

If the system's hardware and software support 64-bit, the system will by default boot the 64-bit kernel. The OBP boot-file variable will by default be set to a null value. boot-file may also be set to "kernel/sparcv9/unix". Check the boot-file variable by using either the Solaris eeprom command or the OBP setenv command.

eeprom: Login as root and use the eeprom command:

# /usr/sbin/eeprom | grep boot-file

If the output from the eeprom command is either:

boot-file: data not available

or

boot-file=kernel/sparcv9/unix

then the system is configured to boot the 64-bit kernel. The boot-file does not have to be set to kernel/sparcv9/unix. A null value works.

If the output from the eeprom command came back as

boot-file=kernel/unix

then the system is configured to boot a 32-bit kernel. Set the boot-file variable to either null or "kernel/sparcv9/unix"

/usr/sbin/eeprom boot-file=""

or

/usr/sbin/eeprom boot-file="kernel/sparcv9/unix"

setenv: From the system's OBP OK> prompt, use the printenv command to check the boot-file variable and if necessary use the setenv or set-default command to set the 64-bit kernel:

OK> printenv boot-file
OK> setenv boot-file kernel/sparcv9/unix

or

OK> set-default boot-file

Q6. How do I configure the system to boot a 32-bit kernel?

If the Ultra machine meets the hardware and software requirements for 64-bit boot, the boot-file OBP variable must be set to kernel/unix. If not, then the machine will boot 64-bit. The boot-file variable can be set by either the Solaris eeprom command or the OBP setenv command.

eeprom: Login as root and use the eeprom command to set the boot-file parameter to the 32-bit kernel:

# /usr/sbin/eeprom boot-file="kernel/unix"

The next system reboot will boot the 32-bit kernel.

setenv: From the system's OBP OK> prompt, use the setenv command to set the boot-file parameter to the 32-bit kernel:

OK> setenv boot-file kernel/unix

=====================================================================

IF YOU HAVE APPS RUNNING THAT REQUIRES 64 BITS THEN DON'T BOOT WITH 32 BIT O/S. OTHERWISE YOU CAN FROM 64 TO 32 AND BACK TO 64 FOR TESTING.

K... ordered a new SCSI card that does offer Solaris 7/8 Support (good news)

Quantum DLT4000 sitting waiting ready.

Do I need a terminator as I do not have one for the 50 pin Micro D style conector...

When the card comes will install & hook up the DLT unit

In total it looks likemany of my problems could have been addressed If I had a card & dlt combo that did actually support Solaris 7!

Wwe shall see

Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back