Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 10 Ulltra 60 user login bounce back to login

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawki

Programmer
Oct 16, 1999
US
Hi

I'm in the process of installing Oracle on my Ultra 60 and creating the needed users. I created the oracle user but when I try to login as the oracle user, id and password, the screen goes white and I'm back at the login screen.

First things first, how did you create the user?

The internet - allowing those who don't know what they're talking about to have their say.

useradd -g oinstall -G dba[,oper] oracle

What happens if you try to su - oracle from the root account?

The internet - allowing those who don't know what they're talking about to have their say.

probably related to the home directory for the user. Does oracle own its home directory? Does the parent directory have 755 permissions? Its probably trying to write the .dt file under the user home.

Unless you include -m I don't think useradd will create the user's directory for you.

Annihilannic.

I think Annihilannic is right - check whether a home directory is specified in the /etc/passwd file, like:

oracle:x:205:204::/export/home/oracle:/usr/bin/ksh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back