Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

solaris 10 Format command wont see my external hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcny33

Technical User
Apr 24, 2001
US
Hello,

I have a brand new Netra 240 in which I have solaris 10 installed on it. I'm trying to attach an external Sun 711 ultra SCSI enclosure box(12 hard drive slots) to the server via one of the pci scsi cards. I'm only using 6 of the 12 slots in the external ultra scsi enclosure box.
When I run the "probe-scsi-all" command at the boot prom I see all of my hard drives. Both internal hard drives and the 6 hard drives in the Sun ultra scsi enclosure box. Why is it that I can not see any of the Hard drives when I'm fully booted up and execute the FORMAT command. The only drives that show up under the format command are the 2 internal drives that came with the server. I'm using a sun scsi-5 to scsi-3 cable to attach the External Ultra scsi cable box to the scsi PCI card on the server. Any help or solutions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance... BC

when you're at the "[tt]ok[/tt]" prompt, try a "[tt]boot -r[/tt]" to start the server. That will do a reconfigure boot and rebuild the [tt]/dev[/tt] and [tt]/devices[/tt] directories. They should show up then.

Also, make sure the unused SCSI port on the back of the external enclosure is terminated. The older arrays need to be terminated.

I should have mentioned that I had done a reconfiguration boot at the ok prompt (boot -r). I tried the boot -r and my drives in the external scsi enclosure still did not show up within the format command. I also had tried to terminate the external scsi enclosure and still nothing. Although I dont think I needed to terminate it as I believe they are self terminated. I have used these SCSI 6 pack/12pack external hard drive enclosures before on older servers and never had to terminate them.. I appreciate your comments but still looking for some more answers.. Thanks

That is odd. If they show up in a "probe-scsi-all", they usually show up in format.

You might check Sun's knowledge base for any patches required by your OS version and that array. Sometimes it's just a patch problem.

If the devices appear under 'rmformat', you could try using the 'format -e' command

Sometimes it's best to work with volume management turned off:
'/etc/init.d/volmgt stop' or svcadm disable volfs (of which /etc/init.d script is a wrapper)

what does cfgadm -al ? show....anything unconfigured?

you may have to run cfgadm -c configure c#
(get the # from cfgadm -al)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back