Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 10 Cron *frustration*

Status
Not open for further replies.

forrie

MIS
Mar 6, 2009
US
We have a Sun x4540 thumper that we use for central NAS storage. To date, I have had nothing but frustration with Sun's implementation of cron. It seems like it's pretty darned old. Regardless, something like this should just work:

0 0,2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20,22 * * * /usr/local/somescript.sh > /dev/null 2>&1

no-brainer. But it doesn't work, despite restarting the cron through svcadm... and I've HAD IT! :)

I've had other problems with this cron before as well. It leads me to wonder if there isn't some GNU/alternative job processor (cron alternative) that I can install and use that will be reliable.

Failing that, what is wrong with the above instruction to cron? I have verified everything, including permissions, etc. It's there, it should work; it doesn't.

Thanks.

I take it you have redirected to a file to see if you have an error?

This link offers two alternate commands that might work:

Code:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/aix-43/how-do-i-get-a-cronjob-to-run-every-two-hours-in-aix-00-*-2-*-*-*-command-no-work-763034/[/URL]

Cron entry looks fine to me. Script located in /usr/local/bin perhaps? Or not executable?

Log output instead of /dev/null would be interesting thoughm as olded suggested. Also check the cron log, wherever that may be in Solaris these days, to see if it has even attempted to invoke the job.

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back