Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sol 10 users can't login to GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasslor

Technical User
Dec 13, 2000
US
Hi,

I am having a problem with users on my Solaris 10 box. I can login users using a command line login, but I am unable to use the local GUI. When ever anyone but root attempts to login to the server they are instantly kicked out. Any help or thoughts on this would be appreciated.

what are the permissions on their home directory?

[Blue]Blue[/Blue] [Dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

The permissions on their account directories are they have ownership of their directories and full for themselves read only for group and none for other. There are a couple with 755 but those are mostly due to me experimenting before posting this problem.

Were their .dt profiles imported (Do they own them)?

Sorry I didn't explain the whole situation. It's a brand new server, and I have copied .dt profiles to some and given them permissions to own the file. But there was no difference from if they had the .dtprofile or not.

Running out of ideas for you. I would make sure that permissions and ownership is correct for all files in the .dt directory in the users home directory.

I presume their desktop is launched by an Xsession script somewhere? If so, I'd add some debugging/logging to that script to try and figure out where it's going wrong.

Annihilannic.

Are they attempting to login directly to the server console or remotely with emulation software like Exceed or !Kea?

Luke

Yes I'm trying to login directly to the server. I am starting to think it is an issue with the current release of Sol 10. All this is occuring on the 10/08 release.

It sounds to me like you have a correupted .dt directory in your homedir. Try renaming it to .dt.old and then attempt another login. It should create a default .dt directory for you automatically.

I have tried that already. I've also tried copying the root .dt folder structure and changing ownership on it.

hmmmm...should just need a good entries in the following:

/etc/passwd
graveslu:x:13785:10:Luke Graves, Unix Systems Administrator:/export/home/graveslu:/usr/bin/bash

/etc/shadow
graveslu::14155::::::

and a valid path to homedir sort of like:
/export/home/graveslu
with file perms of 755

Have you tried using the management tool in Solaris 10 to create a template account? Then just model everyone else's account after that. Trying to remember, but I think there might be a setting to allow users to login remotely with emulation software. Maybe there is one to allow users other than root to do so on console also. It's not the usualy thing to allow users to directly login to console. I bet you have specify a setting to allow that.

In your user .dt directory is a file called startlog. If root is working, compare this file with one from one of your users. This may point you the direction of your problem.

I have a very similar issue, so that I won't start a new thread. Instead, I am just post my questions here.

I have a newly installed/configured Opteron Solaris 10 U5. I usually logon to console through web based Sun ILOM remote console login. I had no problems to logon to console GUI for the last a few days. However, after I rebooted the server a few times today, I can no longer logon to console GUI as root any more. CMDline console login as root is still OK. I have tried all suggestions mentioned in this thread. But none works.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back