Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Soho 6ct VPN with a dynamic-IP partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

boiler1

Technical User
Jan 5, 2005
CH
Hello everybody!

I have the following problem: I use a Watchguard Soho 6ct Firewall/Router. I have a static IP and several VPN's to colleagues, who also have a static IP. No problems there

Now, I'm trying to create a VPN with a partner who has a dynamic IP. I thought of using a service like dyndns to work around the problem of changing IP's.

In the Soho 6ct VPN-setup, I can choose if I'd like to specify an IP-Adress or a Domain-Name as Remote-ID. I figured I'd use 'Domain Name' and fill in the dyndns.org adress. So far so good. The problem is, that besides the Remote ID, the Soho also wants me to write down a Remote IP. If I don't do that, the Soho 6ct can't create a VPN-connection. However, since it's a dynamic IP, that wouldn't be of any use, would it?

Is there a way to work around this problem or can the Soho 6ct simply not handle VPN's which are based on domain names?

Thank you all for your help

Greetings from Switzerland, boiler1

I don't believe you can create a VPN between two soho's unless they both have static IP's. You can create a VPN between a firebox and a soho if one of them is dynamic.

AM

in dynamic ip address vpn create from one side not from both side as compare to static ip address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back