Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software Updates via SMS 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrbmcse1

IS-IT--Management
May 27, 2003
GB
Hi There,

pse excuse my SMS inexperience but i am having trouble configuring the software updates component. I have installed mbsa etc but am unsure of how to actually download and approve the updates.

Apols in advance for what may seem a simple query but hey, we all have to start somewhere,

thanks is advance

As a very quick intro do the following, presuming you have already installed the tools

Right click on Advertisements,Click All Tasks,Click Distribute s/w updates and follow the wizard.

Note that you will also have to create a package and advertisement to distribute the updates, the defualt one created by the SMS tool only scans the computers!

If this is too vague just say so!

Master of Disaster.....Recovery

Thanks for the reply 'CTOAWN', i just about managed to get that far, it's more the task of synchronising with security patches with MS then in a granular fashion deciding with security updates to apply to which servers ie

Patch 1234 to Server 1
IIS patch 345 to IIS Server 1
MDAC Patch 2345 to servers 4, 7 and 8 plus Workstation 1

etc etc, i hope u get the idea. Im after some kind of solution where i can test and document these patches then deploy them in a granular fashion on some kind of hierarchy, is this the right product?

TYVM

Does SUS integrate with SMS 2003? Can someone explain pse, thanks.

Regards

SMS Amateur

OK,

SMS scan tool scans each PC/Server in the collection that it is advertised to, therefore scan the All Systems collection, Then download the updates and it will apply each update to the PCs/Servers that it needs to. There is no easy way to say only apply patch 1 to server 1 but not to server 2 if they both need the patch. I think you would have to create multiple collections and advertisements, very messy.

What I have done here is to create a pre-production collection that get the updates first, one person from each section that are too low to get me sacked if it all goes wrong, and too nice to shout at me. Once these have been deployed and I'm sure they are working I then advertise to All Systems.

SMS2003 has its own version of SUS which you are using, you do not need the free SUS

Hope this helps.

Thanks 'CTOAWN',

I'm thinking thats about as granular as we need to go, i've used the free version of SUS extensively, how du i get to the 2003 version of SUS?

Thanks

Never used SUS.

If you've installed the mbsa stuff then your running the SMS version of SUS!

Make sure the advertisement for the scan has been run then run the following query
select Client.Name, Client.LastLogonUserName, SMS_G_System_PATCHSTATE.Product, SMS_G_System_PATCHSTATE.Title, SMS_G_System_PATCHSTATE.QNumbers, SMS_G_System_PATCHSTATE.Status from SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_PATCHSTATE on SMS_G_System_PATCHSTATE.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId inner join SMS_R_System as Client on Client.ResourceId = SMS_G_System_PATCHSTATE.ResourceID where SMS_G_System_PATCHSTATE.Status != "Installed" order by Client.Name

This will give you a list of all the PCs/Servers and what updates are required for each one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back