Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software updates failing on the systems via SMS 2003 SP2 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

komando

IS-IT--Management
Oct 26, 2006
US
Hello all,

We have an SMS 2003 SP2 enterprise server. Recently an issue started where if I try to rollout any software using SMS I get the following error in Advertisement status:

Software updates evaluation failed: could not locate the scan component of the specified software update inventory tool. The scan component advertisement might not have run on the client computer.

Possible cause: Incorrect package and program name in the Scan.ini file.
Solution: Verify that the package and program name specified in the scan.ini file are correct.

Possible cause: Scan component was never run on client.
Solution: Specify that the scan component is run in a program dependency of the software updates package. This will ensure that new client computers always run the scan component before software update installation is attempted.

Please suggest

Hi Tbrennans

We only have one SMS server in our environment and that same server is distribution point. The software is being deployed on all XP pro SP2 machines in our domain.

Thanks

ah ok,

Is your Windows Updates Tool / programs / Microsoft Updates ToolSync set to download to the server, and look in the advertisement for that paticular tool and make sure the Microsoft Updates Tool sync advertisement propeties / mandatory assignment schedule / has a recurrence pattern (I use a interval of once a day)

If that is current and working (check the system status/advertisement status for that advert to make sure, and I guess you could check the cab file too)

Then look at your advertisement for the Microsoft updates tool. It should should be reccurring too.

I figured it out from another forum. I thought I should share it here. When creating a package for software updates, on the "Configure installation agent settings" dialogue, just uncheck the box where it says, "Enforce start time and maximum installation time (Advanced client)". I am not sure if this is a perfect solution but it worked for me.

Thanks tbrennans for your help.

Makes perfect sense! Its for an open windows specifically for servers to run it in a certain time span or bail out if it doesnt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back