Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software update in superstack II 3300 failed! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanmcp

IS-IT--Management
Apr 23, 2006
US
I tried using the TFTP server to update the software from 2.10 to 2.72 in my 3300 switch. It failed at 20% progress. As suggested, I then used the software update utility using the serial cable. It also failed at about 30% mark. Then all I saw was the solid amber Power-test LED and all other LEDs were turned off. I power cycled the switch. Now none of the LEDs are On. I can hear the fan running so the power is reaching the switch. Is the switch screwed up? and only 3Com can recover it?

Thanks

:(

I screwed the update on a 3300 a few years ago and and managed to recover it with the serial update utility. I am sure you have tried using the serial update utility since you powered it off and on already?
It may be worth trying a different PC? Other than that I think it's screwed...

Andy

In fact, I think the serial update utility is the one that screwed up the switch. When the TFTP method failed, the switch came back up without any problem. I read the 3com manual and it said use SUU only if the TFTP failed, which it did in my case. So the SUU also bailed out on me in the middle. I retried the SUU many times, but it always said "failed to synchronize". All the LEDs are off including the ports but I can hear the fan running.

Well, I will call 3com this morning and will ship them the unit. Hopefully the lifetime warranty on the SSII 3300 will help me out with the replacement cost.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back