Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software uninstallers and hard disk cleaners...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadman

Technical User
Feb 23, 2000
CA
I have recently purchased a copy of Cybermedia Uninstall. Is this software package (or others like it) safe to use? I've heard horror stories of programs such as Norton Cleansweep deleting important system files...so what's the deal? Can I run it with it's default settings, or should I manually enter certain file types to protect? Please drop me a line. Thanx.

There's no straightforward answer to this, read the docs carefully, look at the readme file if there is one (and the help files) before you let the thing loose.<br>
<br>
Utilities like this can be a real boon - or a real pain. Just go careful is all.<br>
<br>
Mike<br>
<p>Mike Lacey<br><a href=mailto:Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com>Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>

found that the only sure way to completely remove programs is to go into the registry. Find every instance of the program I am removing. Then delete.<br>
<br>
The un-install programs supplied with apps, the uninstall routine in win 98 or even programs like cybermedia uninstaller rarely get it all.<br>
<br>
What bothers me is that deleting all instances of a program from the registry may not be enough.<br>
<br>
The registry. One scary place.

Uninstaller Software is best when installed FIRST, before applications are<br>
installed, even then, they do not work 100%. <p>David J. Aller<br><a href=mailto:GoTech@GoTechnologiesInc.com>GoTech@GoTechnologiesInc.com</a><br><a href= Computer Systems & Networking Services</a><br>

Just a dream.<br>
<br>
Do you think that Windows Millenium will have a routine that fully, and safely removes programs?<br>
<br>
Gary in Toronto

&lt;smile&gt; No - I don't... <p>Mike Lacey<br><a href=mailto:Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com>Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>

So what's the ultimate solution? Only install software that you want on your machine indefinetly?! There must be something better...

Cadman,<br>
<br>
Sorry I was flippant.<br>
<br>
Unfortunately there isn't a real answer at the moment. MS based software is quite hard work if you don't have a static configuration on your machine. DLL's change as applications are installed and can sometimes do your overall machine no good at all as they install some newer version of a system DLL - that they need to run.<br>
<br>
My PC's get zapped every so often. Every few months I save the documents and such to another machine; make a list of the s/w I use/want; format the h/d (seriously) and then start from scratch installing Windows xx. Sounds like a lot of trouble? Well it is, but it's less trouble than just leaving it.<br>
<br>
Mike<br>
<p>Mike Lacey<br><a href=mailto:Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com>Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>

Mike Lacey's got the only truly good answer to completely uninstalling a program - format c:! I do a similar move periodically also, my laptop moves from network to network and gets tons of apps installed as a test environment. I use a product of Symantec's (formerly from Binary Research) called &quot;Ghost&quot;. I have an exact image of my laptop with Win 98 installed, and those few apps that I use always and never uninstall saved on my server. Then when my machine gets to be a mess, in 10 minutes I'm back to a clean install of Windows. I feel this is well worth the money spent on the software.<br>
<br>
Like the rest of you, I feel that there's got to be a better way to get programs off and registry entries out. I've seen the uninstall programs do much more harm than good, and I haven't seen one yet that I would use myself, much less recommend to anyone else.<br>
<br>
I once uninstalled Office 97, used MS's &quot;Office 97 Eraser&quot; utility (which MS claims will do a complete uninstall&quot;), and still counted over 60 references to Office in the registry! Keep posting if anyone finds a good answer- although I'm doubting there's one out there.

About registry entries that remained after an uninstall...I recently uninstalled a demo version of IronCAD 1.4, through the windows add/remove programs utility, and still counted over 100 references to the program. Then I ran Quickclean (registry cleaner), provided in the Cybermedia Uninstaller software package, and it removed all but one. Although, I don't know what other important stuff it removed as well, but no problems have arisen so far...(fingers crossed)<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back