Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software raid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midrange

Vendor
Aug 28, 2002
SG
I;m new with redhat linux and not aware of sw raid.i have a lot of queries.

1. i have two disks 36Gb, i want to create all the filesystems on the first disks and thinking if it can be clone to the second disk. If fisrt disk failed then the 2nd disk can boot and all data are intact. Is that possible?

2. if possible, provide a step by step procedure. i'm using AS 3.0

thanks.

Digging into section 7.3 of that HOWTO made me very happy as there appears to be very good support for handling the master drive dying (ie it can boot off of the secondary disk in the degraded array in RAID-1). That is a big advancement that makes Linux software RAID a very good solution for you.

Good luck!

thanks BocaBurger/mrballcb...but can you set me an example. sorry just new with linx. im more on aix..

i have mirroredthe 2 disk alreday..
using fdisk -l /dev/sda and sdb they have the same partitions..

my question is, i have tried to removed the first disk, but the second disk did not boot. what do i need to do to boot on 2nd disk. can this be done automatically..

await for your response.

the "device" command is not recognized..

i'm using 2.4.21-4 kernel as3.0 redhat..

FYI.

For answers on how to get it to boot from that second device, read section 7.3 of that HOWTO that I mentioned above. It explains what you have to do for lilo or what you have to do for grub in order to be able to boot from the secondary drive if the primary dies.

If you are using SCSI, then you will have to change the Boot Drive ID in the SCSI BIOS in order to get the 2nd drive to boot.

I have setup a software raid using SCSI and 2 controller cards. It is a lot faster than when I was running it on 1 card. If my primary drive fails, then I can just change which card is the primary card.

You can find SCSI raid controllers on ebay realatively cheap, which would be a great solution if you are really concerend about data integrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back