Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

software problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

denty

Technical User
Nov 20, 2003
GB
when downloading games on to my pc (IBM 300GL) my pc locks up and screen goes black any help its driving me crazy

What Version of Windows? Win95, Win98?

when you say downloading, do you mean installing?

how much hard drive space do you have left on the 300GL?

how much memory does it have (RAM)?

does the screen go straight to black? do you get a blue screen? does the computer shut off, or do you have to power it off and on to recover?

what games?

what are the system requirements for the game you are installing?

too many questions left to ask with such a vague inquiry...

i imagine with the gang here, we could probably get you fixed up, but not with such little information...

0sorry for lack of info im running 600pentium3 128ram ihave checked on the games and they all seem compateble after i have installed the game its ok but when i run the game it just goes black and locks up i have to turn pc off and back on again to get working again

Denty-
I am a tech teacher running a lab of 300gls - are they ever flaky! I have been experiencing all kinds of freezing issues and etc. For months I've been searching for fixes. The following are things that have worked recently. I can't say that any of them worked alone, but in combination they seem to be working - knock on wood.

1.) Do a Disk Cleanup - START>PROGRAMS>ACCESSORIES>SYSTEM TOOLS>DISK CLEANUP Be sure to check all options provided. Don't forget to click the More Options tab and complete each of the tasks there. Keeping your temp and temporary internet folders clean is a big deal with the 300 gls.
2.) Schedule your Maintenance Wizard to run frequently. START>PROGRAMS>ACCESSORIES>SYSTEM TOOLS>MAINTENANCE WIZARD
3.) Since it might be a video prob - try setting your display to standard VGA.
4.) Right click on my computer and choose properties. On the Performance Tab click File System - change desktop computer to network server - I know it's not, but it seems to speed things up. Click Graphics and move the slider one notch to the left of Full. Can even go as low as none if needed.
5.) Start>Run type msconfig choose Selective Startup and click the startup tab. Uncheck task monitor, findfast and office startup. Findfast was a nightmare of an idea from MS - it's disabled in Windows ME! Be sure to check your startup folders for anything else that you don't need.
6.) In your Control Panel double click FindFast and highlight any indexes listed. Go to Index, delete index, yes - do this for all indexes listed. When finished - don't click X - go to Index>Close and Stop.
7.) This seemed to help me the most. Got the info from a guy at expertcity.com. Start computer in safe mode - hold ctrl until windows splash screen. Find the file shelliconcache and delete it. Then go to control panel>system and expand each device listed. Anywhere you have multiple devices listed delete all instances. For instance if you see 4 monitors listed delete all 4. Unless of course you have a situation where two are being utilized. I.e. a 3com card and a netgear card. (This only works in safe mode!) Reboot and let windows find new hardware.

Good luck!

lezleew :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back