Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software Piracy in my Workplace - What To Do? 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppark001

MIS
Jul 11, 2001
US
Hi All,

Last week I was asked to "figure out" the technology in my company. So I spent the whole week auditing the various servers, software, client computers etc.

What I found at this point is that we have no original software C.D.s, every server has a different key and serial number for the server software (Windows 2000 Advanced Server). The Network Guy is using his personal software to support the server software. He reactivates remote "Terminal Services" users by using tricks to refresh the licensing, as we have no official licenses.

The "Network Guy" uses his same Windows XP Professional to install on multiple workstations.

So in a nutshell, at the most, one of the server installations maybe valid, but I have no way of proving it for legal,insurance or any other reason.

I am fairly freaked out over this, yet when I hold discussions with the 2 or 3 I.T. people, they just kind of shrug it off. I know the Management will be very concerned. My question to you is, how common is this and what is your take on it. It seems to me, our computer system is at risk, legally and security-wise. If the server should die, we are dependent on our Network Guy to use his personal software. My other question is, how can I tell without receipts and disk covers, if any of the software actually belongs to use. I have all the keys from software audit software, but I don't know what to do with it.

Thanks All,

Signed: "Sorry I accepted this Task"

Microsoft and the SPA usually have an amnesty period each year. You should check with them to find out when that will be and get yourselves into compliance. I believe they will actually help you figure it out so long as you are agreeing to go legit.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Geez, what's up with all the flaming above regarding this "Network Guy". Not sure about the rest of you, but companies that I've worked for in the past are very much aware that they are using unlicensed software - usually because they cannot afford to be in compliance. Glad

Your company can call up an OEM such as Dell and get a quote for the number of licenses to bring everything in compliance. If you can't find anything definite to show you've bought anything by now, then you're never going to find enough to survive an audit. But by buying in bulk, you'll save. And you don't need the actual media either, as was mentioned earlier.

I wouldn't call the SPA or Microsoft in order to get you into compliance. Just go thru an OEM that has no interest in turning anybody in. If you don't mention that you are not in compliance now, then they will just send you a quote.

Gluck.

P.S. If you really want to check the legitamacy of a key, try typing it into Google and see if it appears... =)

Hi Marc,

I am still trying to find our original purchase receipts. Then I will be more comfortable calling up.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back