Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software Metering not running in SMS 2003? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

byrneg

MIS
Jan 16, 2002
IE
hi all,

i have set up software metering rules in and these appear where they should in the shape of .mrx file. however even if i leave the system running for ages and open the applications to be metered there is no data available in the reports. am i missing something? i am a newbie to SMS any help much appreciated

byrneg,
Lets start again, verify that your metering rule is correct. You can setup a new rule, and actually point to the file you want metered. Don't simply insert the info as there are a few things you may not enter correctly, like "language", it has to be specific.

Once the rule is built, dont expect any results right away. You may want to set your software metering agent to 15min intervals at the beggining to watch the rules work a bit.

For now, the only way to view the result would be to check the SQL db for the results, as the reports in SMS will not be populated for about 2 days.

Create this report, it will give you the daily usage from the tables in SQL.

SELECT RES.Name0 'SystemName',
MU.FullName 'User',
MDF.ProductName 'Application',
ROUND (Datediff (n, StartTime, EndTime)/60.0,2) 'Total Hours in Use',
Datediff (n, StartTime, EndTime) 'Total Minutes in Use',
DATEADD (n,MD.StarttimeOffset,MD.StartTime) 'From',DATEADD (n,MD.EndtimeOffset,MD.EndTime)'EndTime',
CASE WHEN MD.StillRunning = '1' THEN ' YES' ELSE ' ' END as 'Application still running'
from dbo.v_MeterData MD

Left Join dbo.v_MeteredFiles MDF on MD.FileID = MDF.MeteredFileID
LEFT Join dbo.v_MeteredUser MU on MD.MeteredUserID = MU.MeteredUserID
LEFT Join dbo.v_R_System RES on MD.ResourceID = RES.ResourceID

Have fun.

thanks .... the issue had resolved itself. i didn't know how to verify that the data was there but could see from the smproc.log that indeed a file had been transferred.

thanks for the script i will use it for verifying new rules

virtual beer on bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back