Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software Metering Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerice

MIS
Apr 18, 2002
US
ok guys... I know that Software Metering in SMS is a nightmare but I mostly have mine working. The problem I am facing is that after registering a product, lets say MS Word 2000, I may have 5 or more variants on the version, which is 9.*.* I am using the partial registration option, but some of the variations still show up under the unlicensed option.

I also have a problem where some programs are not reporting their executable, and/or the report the executable without its extension. Example would be a telnet program we use called Netterm. Sometimes it reports itself as netterm.exe and other times it reports only netterm. I have selected the original option so it pulls the name out of the program header so our more savy users can't get around a block by changing the name of the executable.

Does anyone have any ideas they could share about these problems... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't played around with SW Metering yet so I don't know if this will work but I'd check the machines that don't report the extension an see if Explorer is configured to Hide known extensions. ( I have come across a similar problem, not in SMS, when explorer wasn't configured to display the full path and applications could report the path properly. ) Let me knowe if this works as I have to implement SW Metering soon, cheers

No, this should not have anythign to do with it as SMS is actually reading the header of the exe file, not looking at what is displayed in Explorer. I will check, but I don't think that should have any effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back