Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software licensing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LostCreekDavid

Programmer
Oct 11, 2007
US
I have developed some programs I would like to sell and am wondering how other companies have done this. How do you track and issue licenses? How do you collect money? How do you keep track of your customers for updates?

Do you license per computer? If so, do you capture the CPU ID, the NIC address? The video card ID?

Do you use a service or did you write software yourself?

Sincere thanks for any help!

David

I think all that depends on what you are trying to market. Is it something the company you work for now be interested in buying/selling? A friend of mine just wrote a program on the side and his current employer is going to do all the sales/marketing for 40%. Sounds like a lot, but now he doesn't have to worry about 'knocking on doors' to sell it. He also gets to retain ALL rights to the code and owns the patent. He does the license based upon the Processor ID. They are allowed to change it once per year. This allows for system upgrades and relocation of the software.

I would stay away from using the NIC/Video ID's. They can be too easily upgraded or replaced. Processor ID is pretty static and rarely will you have clients upgrading processors. It will also allow them to format/wipe/replace the Hard Drive and not effect their license.

--------------------------------------------------
"...and did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? NO!"

"Don't stop him. He's roll'n."

Thanks - this is what the company does. While I am a programmer, I also own the company. The big issue is how to license and sell it. What I am wondering is what web-site or software other companies are using to track sales? I have a pay-pal account now, but we do all the licensing by dialing to the customer's computer (GoToMeeting) and licensing it by hand. Ok for a big project, but for a $100 license it is just too expensive.

Any input gratefully received.

David

If the application requires the Internet, you can force a registration and have it ping against a central database at your website once a month or something. Sun incorporates the ProcID into their licensing. When you run the application for the first time after install, it grabs the ProcId and wraps it into the Product key. You then go to the registration website, enter that number and a PurchaseID and it will verify the unique ownership and license count. If all is good, it returns an Activation Key. From there it's all good unless you move to another Processor. When they try to place it on a second system, the registration will see that it is already installed somewhere. If they want to change PC's then a phone call to release the license would be required.

If that's still too involved, there's always the "Have you paid your programmer today?" message after 30 days. If they don't enter a Registration Key, then it shuts off (like most share/trial ware).

Microsoft ties their licenses to the machine. Sun uses the Processor. Ultra-Edit, WinZip, Trillian, etc. use a PurchaseID with a ProductID (one of these keys will allow you to install on every machine in the building regardless of what the license states).

I guess it boils down to, how trusting of your customers are you? Are you worried about getting every cent possible or do you care that your software will be freely distributed through the company?

As for selling the product. First things first. Build a website with screen shots, descriptions and a demo. As for marketing the product... i have no idea... Google ads might be a good place to start.

"...and did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? NO!"

"Don't stop him. He's roll'n."

Thanks - I was hoping I did not have to write something and could use a library and someone's web service to get started. So, I will extend what I am doing and use your advice.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back