Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

software is a lemon - any recourse??

Status
Not open for further replies.

twelper

Technical User
Sep 4, 2003
US
greeting folks,

I've just been hired by a retailer to get his new pos software up and running. The software is terrible. It was built in Visual Foxpro. An older dos version was widely accepted within our industry for many years. In doing some research after the fact, I havent been able to find anyone who has upgraded to the version we bought. It's technically a windows program but by todays standards it looks like dos. There is no user friendliness. No continuity to navagation (sometimes you hit esc, sometimes cancel, sometimes there's an exit button. Sometimes hitting cancel will bounce you right out of the program. There's just a maze of drop-downs that would be difficult to remember. The bottom line is that this program is painful to use. We don't have it up yet and we've already found some bugs. I don't want to put anymore man hrs into it.
My question is - do we have any recourse? Is there any chance we could get our money back?
I'd appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks,
Twelper

Guess that would all depend on the purchase agreement. Most people will honor at least a 30 day gurantee of some sort.

Feel free to name names here.

Ugh. Sounds like he might have legacy SW that needs more power and/or memory than the machine(s) offer. Either of these almost certainly will cause more headaches and dissatisfaction. And if you do get it to work right, there'll be no guarantees that it will play nicely as the DBs increase in size, etc.

What's the SW, and what are its minimum requirements? And was it purchased from a solution provider or online/off-the-shelf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back