Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

astonmak

MIS
Feb 14, 2003
CN
Dear all,

I have installed a software into XP under administrator account, then i login to another account which is under user authority, but i can't run the setup under that account.

Is there any method to run the software under normal user account, but the software was installed under administrator account.

Thanks alot
Aston

Thanks,

But I watched the article, it told us to using the "Run As" on the shortcut, but how about the software that doesn't has shortcut, let say : the add in program for office.

Thanks
Aston

If you are installing an msi you can add ALLUSERS=1 to the command line
Start / Run
In the command line write "msiexec /i yourmsi.msi ALLUSERS=1"

That will install the msi for all users on the machine.

Most newer programs designed for XP should work. Older programs not designed for XP may give you this problem, but if you have launched the main exe file as administrator, the embedded programs should/might???? pick up this setting too.

307091 - Certain Programs Do Not Work Correctly If You Log On Using a Limited User Account

"To assign a different user name to a program shortcut"
Typed in Help and Support has further information.

Actually, I have downloaded a little program from Microsoft for Office XP Chinese Version, which used to transfer Traditional Chinese to Simplified Chinese. It will be a part of function in Office XP and will not have a extra EXE file to fire up. And it is only a SETUP file when I download.

So it seems like the "RUN AS" and "MSIEXEC" method not really applied. Then is there any option para for setup command to run app setup for all users account.

Thanks

The option to install for access by all users seems to depend on the install setup program. Some offer you the choice to install start menu icons for all users and some don't.

Anything with a XP logo on it should work. Anything compiled in the last 18 months should have a good chance of working the way you want it to. It is mainly the older programs that may cause you problems.

Alternatively you could add the user temporarily to the administrators group on the local machine, install the software and take him out of the group again.

Another problem with installing older software for a user account is, that it might use and change an ini-file or similar, which could be placed in a directory, where the user cannot write - i.e. the windows folder. It will appear as a program error or the older application simply will not start up. Workaround is granting permissions to the specific file in question, which can be done as the local administrator or by repackaging the application to an msi and add the permissions that way.

Do you have any idea what the program in question canges for the specific user it is installed under ? Could you possibly copy these changes to the "user" account by a reg-file ? Could you copy shortcuts etc to the All Users desktop ?

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back