Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software for e-commerce 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickjp

Programmer
Dec 26, 2000
US
I am currently designing a site for my mom's craft business.
Would appreciate input as to best Web-site hosting company for e-commerce (she is on a budget of $ 35 mo or less) and any software other than Front page, that has shopping cart, etc. I am 14 and have knowledge of HTML and other applications and I have previously designed sites but not for e-commerce. Thanks.

Some of my clients have had luck with I'm not sure if they do the cheap solutions though. My company provides hosting too. There are websites which rate multiple hosting companies. Do a search on your favorite search engine for hosting comparison sites. You can decide the trade-off of price vs features that you prefer.

You can get freeware ecommerce packages on script sites (like That would be the way to go if you know Perl, PHP, or whatever language your freeware script is written in. Or you could license commercial software. My company provides that too. But, if you're looking for a inexpensive solution, you're going to have to get your hands dirty and do most of the manual work yourself.
Sincerely,

Tom Anderson
CEO, Order amid Chaos, Inc.

It's probably a bit late, but I use Miva Merchant v3. Though I'm a developer by trade, I didn't want to devote the hundreds of hours it would take to write my own. Miva Merchant is pretty powerful and fairly easy to use.

My Web hoster provides the hosting that includes a MM license for under $30/month. Credit card processing fees (if yo are going that route) are completely separate and extra. Robert Bradley
Coming Soon:

Robert,

Care to share who your Miva hosting provider is?

Thanks,
Randy

Actually, Randy, I'd love to share that bit of info. I have no stake in this hosting company and I pay the same rate as everyone else, but I recommend them to my colleagues and I have 3 sites running on them, at various levels of service.

They are Webaxxs, The full Miva Merchant 3 (I use it for ) is included in their eCommerce package, $29.95/mo. I use their $15.95 package for my other sites (400 Mb disk space, lots of scripts, etc.). I can't say enough good things about them. Robert Bradley
teaser.jpg

Robert:

Just wanted to say thanks for the tip on webaxxs.net. I'm new to this forum and just browsing through the threads. I have checked out webaxxs and am impressed.

BTW: how easy/difficult is it to customize the layout w/ Miva? I've seen some pretty nice customizations, but don't know how much is involved. Do you need to know HTML extremely well to do it?

Thanks for the info.

Bill.
bell@go-envision.com

Miva: one way to put it is that there are three levels of customization:

1) Turning on/off various check boxes and selecting various pre-built options in the built-in store builder.

2) In the store builder, adding text (which can include HTML) in the several dozen boxes for category tree header/footer, storefront header/footer, etc. Because this supports HTML, it lets you do a pretty fair amount of customization, and you control how complex you want to be (i.e. use plain text, some basic HTML, fancy stuff like forms, etc).

3) Modifying the Miva Merchant source scripts. The Miva scripts are server-side scripts that function like ASP. Obviously, there is a lot more complexity here, but gives you a huge amount of control.

In addition to the above, there is a large variety of after-market tools and modules that can plug in to Merchant.

There is a brand new Miva Merchant forum here at Tek-Tips:
forum810
if you want to continue this discussion.

Robert Bradley
Sr. DBA, some big company
cheap prints and oil paintings:

Robert:

I made a new post in the MIVA forum. Thanks.

Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back